10.27.2005

The day after...

Tam had surgery yesterday on her abdomen and it turns out none too soon. The doctor found infection on her left side along with deep connections to the wound on the right side. According to her doctor, had they not operated when they did, she would have probably died within a few more days. The infection was very deep inside her and that is why there was not any tell-tale signs on the surface of her abdomen. We are very fortunate and I hope if anyone reads this will say a small prayer of thanks and another for her continued recovery. As for me, I am completely wiped out. I slept at the hospital last night, in a recliner as visitors are not allowed to stay overnight in the ICU. I worked almost 8 hours today and am going to pull an 11 hour shift tomorrow in an effort to make up for some of the time I have missed. The doctor had hoped to only make a small incision but because of the extent of the infection she had to cut from one side all the way to the other. Because of this large of an opening, tomorrow and Monday they are going to take Tam to the surgery room and put her under anesthesia to pack the wound. After Monday they will evaluate if they can send her back upstairs and continue with wound care in her room, where I can spend the night with her or if she will remain in ICU for awhile longer. She was looking very pale last night as her red cell blood count was very low so today she was given 2 units of blood via transfusion and when I saw her tonight her cheeks were rosy and pink. She is my hero and I will do anything for her.

No comments: