5.30.2005

Alternatives.....

Last week I went to see "Revenge of the Sith" and last night I watched "Return of the Jedi". At the end of "Return" I noticed that the Anakin that appears with Obi-Wan and Yoda is now the actor Hayden Christenson instead of the older man that was at the end of the original movie. I am not sure if I like this or not. I mean, it makes sense to use the person that was last Anakin because there would be no way to know exactly how he would look as a man in his mid-forties because of his scars. And yet, this seems to be the most grievous of George Lucas various changes to the original films. Generations will never know just how the original ended, with the fatherly looking Anakin watching over his son for the first time as a "good" man.
On a different note I wanted to make a suggestion, at the risk of angering the purists. Near the end of "Return" when Darth Vader and Luke are in the midst of their final battle (the music score is incredible!) Luke does not give in to his anger as we all know. What if he did? I suddenly had this picture in my mind of Luke and Leia standing side by side in black (can you picture a young Carrie Fisher clad in black leather? WoW?) as master and apprentice, ruling the galaxy.

No comments: