10.17.2004

Who we are...


I watched a show tonight that affected me with some deep emotions. The theme of the show was accepting people for who they really are, no matter what others may think. This is why I fell in love with Tam. Not only did she allow me to be me, but she joined in with my silly fun. We had been together for awhile and I knew just how I felt about her, but she did something that sealed the deal. We used to "play" by leaving little plastic critters hidden for each other. For some background, each summer I would get a nest of mice in my attic. Never in the house, mind you, just in the attic. I was always terrified I would lower the attic door and one would fall on me. One Saturday while she was at work I lowered the door to put some things away when a grey long tailed "rat" fell upon me! It was Ricky the Rat, a plastic rat that we used to scare each other with among our zoo of critters. She had placed it on the fold-up stairs so that as I opened the door Ricky would fall on me. And did it work!!! I jumped so hard I pulled a muscle in my leg! Then, when I realized what it was and who was responsible, I immediately called her. It was at that moment, more than any other moment, that I knew I wanted to spend my life with her. That was how this show I watched tonight was. When the love of his life died, he never looked for another. The guy stated you only get one shot in life for that absolutely true love. I had my shot and it didn't work out. I was told life is too short, get out and do things. I am. For the first time in a year I actually enjoyed going shopping. No sadness, no sighs about what no longer is. Just good memories, like the one of a plastic rat.

No comments: